31 October 2007

Counting the good stuff

Good things:

I bought a pair of jeans that fit, and they actually look good on me! I am wearing them today and I feel much, much better about my butt. I also bought two knitted sweater dresses (one purple one white) that I can wear with tights or over pants. They are good because they are a size that fits me now *and* they are long enough to hide the fact that my old pants look so baggy.

I had a home-spa day yesterday and epi-ladied my legs and waxed my bikini line (ouch) as well as painted my nails. I feel a little prettier, although my face is still *huge* and round and not looking like me at all.

I also did a short session with light weights yesterday. Admittedly I had to reduce the weight on my dumbbells from 15 lbs to just over 8 lbs and I only managed one set of 10 reps, but still! I made a new weights program while in the hospital and it works really well. It has squats, sumo squats, lunges and reverse lunges, so hopefully that will have some effect on my chicken legs. I am resting today (just hanging out at home) to make sure I won’t over do it, but I feel good.

I ate reasonable amounts of (peeled) carrots and apples *and* homemade lasagne with ww pasta and a lot of vegetables and it worked out with my stomach! Now I will eat about the same today and then try to introduce peels like tomatoes and bell peppers tomorrow if that goes well.

I talked to my doctor on Monday after having another set-back, and he said to not reduce the cortisone as fast as we originally planned. But right now I am at 20 mg/day and I think I can live with that. I am still feeling pretty high and unable to work or focus on more difficult things or in noisy environments, but otherwise I am ok. I am able to do at least one thing like take a walk or meet someone every day, and that is a huge step forwards. I am even contemplating an easy run/walk in the next couple of days, if I continue to feel stronger. :)

I have a full month off from work on sick leave. All of November! I feel a bit guilty about this, but right now I am seriously not able to function in a lab environment. I need to be mentally sharp at work, make fast decisions, multi-task, stay on my feet for more than 8 hours per day and be steady enough on my hands to perform micro surgeries. At this time I can’t do any of that, so I am not questioning my sick leave at this point. But it feels kind of nice to have this whole month to rest, recover and come to terms with the diagnosis.
And besides, if I feel like I *can* work I can go back earlier.

Yay!

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Happy Jenny :love: You sound like you're in good spirits today!

You're braver than I am waxing yourself - ouch! I don't mind paying other people to do it, but I'm a huge wuss when it comes to doing it myself. I can't even pull off sticky band-aids!

Weights and shopping and walking and possible running - all great stuff :)

Jenny said...

Tanya - I think I'd be more scared to have someone else do the waxing for me! But on the other hand I am not doing anything drastic, just "trimming the edges" so to speak. :grin: I am not particularly sensitive to pain, I have realized. I guess that is both good and bad.

Rose said...

Don't feel guilty about taking the month off for sick leave. I'm sure you need it both physically and mentally. I'm sure your co-workers and lead professor understand and would not want you back any sooner than realistic. At my old job, one of the upper managers was diagnosed with the same thing. He was significantly older than you and with significantly poorer habits and took several months off. Any questions about his absence from us was only in wondering how he was feeling and not when he'd hurry up and be back.