25 November 2007

Finally off cortisone

With a risk of being repetitive – I love to be able to enjoy all things in life again. Not being in the hospital rocks! Getting to eat food rocks! Being able to move around rocks! I have never appreciated being healthy this much before. I feel very grateful.

But I feel a bit scared that it will all be taken away again soon, so I feel like *I had better enjoy it when I can*. I also know that it will be very hard for me to motivate myself to go back on the cortisone again. I would have to be feverish and seriously ill (we are talking ill enough to risk emergency surgery here) to want to do that. I hate that drug.

I know myself well enough to know that I would be very hesitant to contact my doctor about a flare-up if I knew that it meant another seven weeks on high doses of cortisone. I’d rather end up in the emergency room and have a hospital stay every second year than treat myself with these doses several times a year if that is what it comes down to. I couldn’t even cook, much less drive or work or in any way function semi-normally until the dose came down to below 15 mg/day.

At the same time I know that I need to do what is safe and take care of my body. I just doubt that being a shaky mess who feels like crap several times a year is a way to live. I am going up to see my doctors on Monday and I need to talk to them about this. I really, really hope they have something else to say to me than basically to “suck it up, this will be your life from now on”.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Congrats on being off the cortisone babe and good luck with the doctor on Monday.

Kelly

Rose said...

good luck with your appointment monday and congrats on getting off the cortisone.

i was going to post exactly what kelly had until i saw that she had already posted it, so i inverted my version of the sentence :p .