06 November 2007

Baby Envy

We met up with our friends C and P and their baby Freja at a cafe. Freja is almost 12 weeks old and so cute that the entire café comes to a standstill when she giggles and waves her chubby arms. I watch Emil hold her and I can see how his face softens and his eyes almost glaze over with love for her. He wants a baby so badly.

We are at his parents’ house and they show us the latest pictures of Kärsti, the 16 day old baby of K and M, part of their extended family. She looks like a small alien with huge eyes and wrinkly skin. I don’t think they are very cute at that stage, but Emil does. Of course he does. He really, really wants one of his own. We haven’t visited K and M and baby Kärsti yet. I think we are avoiding it.

I wish I could give him a baby but I can’t.

This is the way I feel, in all its ugly honesty: If you are lucky enough to have functional intestines AND a baby I have no sympathy for your 16 hours in labour, your c-section or your lack of sleep. You have it all. Just shut up and count your blessings.

1 comment:

Rose said...

I think babies are unattractive at the alien stage too.

Ugly honesty is still honesty. We all have these kind of honest opinions and I think there's nothing wrong with having or sharing them (to the right audience). It's very easy for individuals to get so wrapped up in their present situations that they neglect to consider how it could be or how it might be for those close to them.

**hugs**